US President Donald Trump will sign an executive order suspending the issuance of H-1B and other foreign work visas until the end of this year, senior officials in the administration have said. The decision, described as part of an effort to ‘first recovery from America,’ would free up as many as 5,00,000 jobs for American workers, officials of the administration said.
Hit by the coronavirus pandemic, almost 40 million Americans have lost their jobs in the past few months as the US economy has come to a halt because of the deadly virus that has killed more than 1,20,000 people so far. The latest change is an expansion of Trump’s signed previous executive halting the issuance of new Green Cards for the rest of the year.
Monday’s order covers H-1B visas, H-2B visas, H-4 visas, L-1 visas and some categories of J-1 visas. The new restrictions will not extend to those who have already been granted a visa and are outside the country as well as those visa holders within the US, officials said. It also exempts certain categories of foreign workers in such sectors as coronavirus-related health care and research.