Centre Sensational Decision: Withdrawn Haj Subsidy

Haj

New Delhi:

Central government made a sensational decision on Tuesday. The government had decided to take off the subsidy for Haj pilgrims. Union Minister for Minority Affairs Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi has announced the decision on Tuesday. The decision made under the agenda to empower the minority communities without appeasement.

Generally, the money which we spent on the subsidy for Haj pilgrims, now will be used for the education of girls and women of the minority community, said Naqvi. This is the first time in India that around 1.75 lakh pilgrims will go to the Haj that too without subsidy. Last year around 1.25 lakh pilgrims went to the Haj said, Naqvi.

By putting an end to the subsidy we could save around Rs 700 crore and that subsidy we could use it for the education of Minorities especially for girls, said Union Minister Naqvi.  Around Rs 700 as a subsidy was given to the Haj Pilgrims after the B.J.P came to the power.

In 2014 the centre spent around Rs 577.07 crore as a subsidy for the Haj pilgrims and the next year it was reduced to  Rs 529.51 crore. Around Rs 405 crore was spent on pilgrims in 2016.

The decision of cancelling the subsidy on Haj pilgrims was made after the government has given permission for the Muslim women (around 1300) those who above the age of 45 to go on pilgrimage without a Mahram (unmarriageable male kin) in this year.

Actually going to Haj by ship is cheaper than the flying, Saudi Arabian government has also agreed to allow the people to go Haj by ship said, Naqvi.

Last year Naqvi said the central government would stop the subsidy for the Haj pilgrims in accordance with a Supreme Court order. The supreme court had asked the government to gradually reduce and abolish the subsidy which is given to the pilgrims by 2022.

 

 

 

 

 

 

You may also like