US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Wednesday commented on the border conflict between China and Bhutan. While addressing reporters during a press conference, Secretary Pompeo said, “I have spoken with Foreign Minister S Jaishankar a number of times about this. Chinese took incredibly aggressive actions and Indians have done their best to respond to that.”
The US and China placed visa restrictions on each other earlier this week over a dispute on Tibet. At the other side, Beijing also said that if Washington reduces its arsenal to China’s level it will be taking part in nuclear disarmament talks with Russia. Such developments further contribute to the US-China trade war that has been going on since 2018, when President Donald Trump decided to introduce trade barriers to force China to fix its ‘unfair practices’ in trade. The trade war between the two countries has contributed to negative effects on both, according to experts.
The step also comes at a time when India and China are engaged in a military confrontation in eastern Ladakh across the Line of Actual Control (LAC). After a meeting between National Security Advisor (NSA) Ajit Doval and Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi, both sides have now begun disengagement at flashpoints, including in the Galwan Valley, where a violent confrontation on 15 June resulted in injuries.